Braised Beef Short Ribs with Roasted Beets and Yukon Gold Potatoes
These fall-off-the-bone ribs are complemented by the sweet roasted flavor of beets and creamy texture of roasted potatoes. Pair with a California Cabernet Sauvignon or Merlot.
- 4 pounds (1800g) short ribs, seasoned generously with salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 cup (75g) celery, diced
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into quarters
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and left whole
- 1 tablespoon (12g) brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (120ml) beef broth
- 4 small beets cut into quarters
- 4 medium Yukon gold potatoes, cut into quarters
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 F. (180 C.) In a large skillet heat the olive oil over medium-high heat, add beef ribs and brown on all sides.
- Remove from the skillet and set the ribs in baking dish.
- Add the onion, celery, tomatoes, garlic, brown sugar and broth to the skillet then simmer for 5 minutes.
- Pour the broth mixture over the ribs.
- Cover and braise in the preheated oven for ninety minutes, turning once.
- Mix the beets in a medium bowl with one tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil.
- Place the beets on a baking sheet and roast for 35 minutes.
- Mix the potatoes in a medium bowl with one tablespoon extra virgin olive oil.
- Place the potatoes on a baking sheet, sprinkle with salt, and roast in the oven for 25 minutes.
- Divide ribs and roasted vegetables evenly onto four plates and drizzle with pan juices.